Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Today was the day that every mother dreads: my baby started kindergarten. I have been okay with Charles starting kindergarten until about two weeks ago. I took him to buy his uniforms. When we came home, I had him try one on and he aged about 2 years. From then on, I have not been okay with Charles starting school. He was ready school wise, I just worry about him making good friends, about kids picking on him, or being called to the Dean's office because he is in trouble. I am thankful that he is growing up and headed off for new adventures.
Getting ready to go to the school.
Charles with his new Spiderman backpack.
Michelle is feeling left out with Charles starting school.
He was cute and posed with for this quick picture.
Charles in front of his school.
We went to the school at noon. Charles' teacher, Mrs. Johnson, met us at the front door. After everyone congregated Mrs. Johnson led everyone down to their classroom. We then sorted all of the school supplies into the community bins. After we were done, Charles said we could leave. I told him I wanted to walk him into his classroom and he said we didn't need to, he could do it. When I told him I really wanted to get him settled, he said it was okay and that I could only take one picture.
This is the "I can do it mom, just one picture".
This is Charles during story time as we were leaving.
It was hard to leave him behind. I figured he would be a little clingy or a little up upset, but he was the biggest boy ever. My mom said I should be glad that he was well prepared and comfortable to be left at school. This whole experience has given me a glimpse of what it must be like for Heavenly Father to allow us to come to earth. As loving as He is, I am sure he sheds a few tears for each one of us when we leave His presence and that He worries about us, just like I do about Charles. I am grateful for the gospel and the power of the Priesthood. As we talked about school over the last few weeks, Charles said he was scared and nervous. Then he would say, "I need dad to give me a blessing. I will be okay if I have a blessing". Out of the mouthe of babes comes those teaching moments for us as adults. I am also grateful that my children are learning at an early age how the power of the priesthood can bless their lives. I am glad that Gabe is a worthy priesthood holder and was able to give each of us a blessing last night before we each begin school.
Charles, I love you and am happy that you have grown into such a loving, caring, and wonderful boy. I hope that your love for learning only grows as you go through school. You did awesome on your first day of school and I am so proud of you.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I actually did remeber that he was starting school today and so meant to call you but each time I thought about it I didn't have my phone!It was a crazy day for us! I am glad that he had a good first day, and he will do great. He looks very cute in his uniform!